Virginia T-Bone Car Accidents Lawyer: Your Legal Options
T-bone accidents, broadside or side-impact collisions, can be devastating and life-altering. These types of car accidents happen when the front of one car collides with the side of another car, forming a “T” shape. Due to the nature of these collisions, T-bone accidents can result in severe injuries. In this article, we will explore how these accidents happen, the common injuries they cause, and when it may be ideal to hire a Virginia car accident lawyer to protect your rights and seek compensation.
Causes of T-Bone Accidents
T-bone accidents can occur in various scenarios, and several factors contribute to their causes. Here are some common causes of T-bone accidents:
- Failure to yield: Running a stop sign or red light can result in a T-bone collision if another vehicle is lawfully proceeding through the intersection.
- Distracted driving: In today’s digital age, distracted driving has become a significant concern. When drivers are texting, talking on the phone, or engaging in other distracting activities, they may not notice an approaching vehicle and collide, resulting in a T-bone accident.
- Speeding: Excessive speed reduces a driver’s ability to react to sudden changes in traffic conditions. A speeding vehicle failing to stop or yield can lead to a T-bone collision.
- Impaired driving: Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs significantly impairs judgment, reaction time, and coordination. Impaired drivers may run red lights or stop signs, causing T-bone accidents.
Common Injuries in T-Bone Accidents
T-bone accidents often result in severe injuries due to the lack of protection on the side of the car being struck. Some common injuries associated with T-bone accidents include:
- Head and brain injuries: The force of impact can cause traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), concussions, and other head injuries. These injuries may lead to long-term cognitive impairments or even permanent disability.
- Neck and spinal injuries: Whiplash, herniated discs, spinal fractures, and spinal cord injuries are common in T-bone accidents. These injuries can cause chronic pain, limited mobility, and in severe cases, paralysis.
- Broken bones: T-bone accidents can result in fractures to the ribs, arms, legs, pelvis, and other bones. Fractures may require surgery and extended rehabilitation and may have long-term complications.
- Internal injuries: The force of impact in a T-bone accident can cause internal injuries, such as organ damage, internal bleeding, and abdominal injuries.
How Often Do T-Bone Accidents Occur
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), side-impact collisions, including T-bone accidents, account for a significant portion of motor vehicle accidents in the United States. In a report published by the NHTSA in 2019, it was found that side-impact crashes accounted for approximately 23% of all passenger vehicle occupant fatalities. The report further highlighted that these types of accidents are particularly dangerous for occupants on the side of the vehicle being struck, as they lack the protection of crumple zones and safety features typically found in the front and rear of vehicles.
When to Hire a Car Accident Lawyer
Suppose you have been involved in a T-bone accident that resulted from another party’s negligence. In that case, hiring a lawyer to protect your rights and seek compensation for your losses may be necessary. Here are some situations where hiring a Virginia car accident lawyer is advisable:
- Serious injuries: If you have sustained severe injuries requiring extensive medical treatment, rehabilitation, or resulting in long-term disability, an experienced personal injury lawyer can help you pursue compensation to cover your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and long-term care.
- Disputed liability: If there is a dispute over who was at fault in the T-bone accident, an attorney can gather evidence, interview witnesses, and work with reconstruction experts to establish liability and build a strong case.
- Insurance company challenges: Insurance companies may try to minimize or deny your claim altogether. An attorney experienced in handling Virginia T-bone accidents will negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf, ensuring you receive the compensation you deserve.
- Complex legal procedures: Legal procedures involving personal injury claims can be complex, and it’s easy to get overwhelmed. An experienced Virginia car accident lawyer can guide you through the process, handle the paperwork, and protect your rights.
Virginia Car Accident Lawyer
T-bone accidents can lead to life-altering injuries, extensive medical expenses, and emotional trauma. Understanding the causes of these accidents, the common injuries they cause, and when to hire a Virginia personal injury lawyer is crucial to protect your legal rights and seek fair compensation. If you are involved in a Virginia T-bone car accident, contact the Law Offices of Richard J. Serpe, PC to discuss your situation during a free consultation. Call or text us anytime at 757-233-0009.
As a Virginia personal injury attorney, Richard Serpe advocates for those injured due to the negligence of another person, dangerous product, or company. A substantial portion of his 37-year legal career has been devoted to representing and protecting injured children. He’s earned a reputation as a well-respected, hard-working attorney with a tenacious approach to every case he takes on. Richard Serpe has a track record of success in obtaining favorable settlements and verdicts for his clients.