Helping You Recover Compensation for Your Injuries and Anguish After a Bicycle Accident that Wasn’t Your Fault
Hiring a Virginia bicycle accident lawyer can be a crucial step in protecting your rights and seeking fair compensation after a bicycle accident. Bicycle accidents can result in significant injuries, medical expenses, lost wages, and emotional distress, and navigating the legal process can be complex and overwhelming.
An experienced Virginia bicycle accident lawyer has the knowledge and experience to advocate on your behalf, ensuring that your interests are represented. They can help gather evidence, investigate the accident, assess liability, negotiate with insurance companies, and if necessary, pursue legal action. With their expertise in personal injury law, a bicycle accident lawyer will work diligently to build a strong case and seek the compensation you deserve. They can guide you through the legal proceedings, provide valuable advice, and alleviate the burden, allowing you to focus on your recovery.
VIRGINIA BICYCLE ACCIDENT LAWYER
As a Virginia personal injury attorney, Richard Serpe advocates for those who have been injured due to the negligence of another person, dangerous product, or company. A substantial portion of his 37-year legal career has been devoted to the representation and protection of injured children. His Virginia personal injury practice has a track record of success in obtaining favorable settlements and verdicts for his clients.
WHEN TO CONSIDER A BICYCLE ACCIDENT LAWYER
Not all accidents result in legal battles, but there are some that would greatly benefit from an attorney’s guidance. Here are a few situations that may benefit from hiring an attorney:
Life-Altering Injuries: If you are permanently injured after being hit by a car, it is possible that you will face a lifelong battle of challenges. Especially when your injuries affect your ability to earn a living. An experienced bicycle accident lawyer can help the insurance companies, and a jury, understand just how much your injury will affect you for the rest of your life.
Your Injuries are Severe: Even if your injuries are not permanent, if they are severe enough, you are likely to have expensive medical bills and lost wages. An experienced personal injury lawyer knows that their client should reach maximum medical improvement before beginning negotiations. As well, they understand how to make the insurance companies understand how your accident has affected your life.
Liability is Uncertain: It isn’t always clear who caused the accident and who should be liable. When multiple parties are involved, insurance companies will try and shift liability to another insurer. If there are numerous injuries, there may be less money to go around. Sometimes it isn’t clear whether the at-fault driver has any insurance at all. An experienced bicycle accident lawyer will make sure all avenues of compensation are explored.
HOW A BICYCLE ACCIDENT LAWYER CAN HELP
Here are a few ways a Virginia car accident attorney can use their legal education, experience, and expertise to protect your rights and add value to your claim:
- Investigate your accident and determine the potential value of your claim
- Protect you from abusive insurance company tactics and costly mistakes
- Negotiate with the insurance company for a favorable financial recovery
- File a lawsuit and go to trial if the insurance company won’t offer a fair settlement
Schedule your free consultation today by calling or texting 757-233-0009.
COMPENSATION FOR BICYCLE ACCIDENT VICTIMS
Depending on the specifics of the crash, cyclists may be entitled to one or more of the following types of compensation:
- Medical treatment. When a negligent driver has caused your injuries, you shouldn’t have to pay for the medical treatment you receive. You may be able to recover costs including hospital bills, physical therapy and any future medical expenses associated with the injury.
- Lost wages. Bicycle accidents can put people out of work for days, weeks and even months. If your bicycle accident injures cause you to miss work, you can sue for the paychecks you missed out on. If you are unable to return to work because of your injuries, future loss of income may be included in you settlement.
- Pain and suffering. The emotional and psychological pain of an accident can outlast even the most serious of physical injuries. Especially if your injuries are permanent, and you aren’t able to get on a bike again.
- Punitive damages. Reckless, careless drivers are often punished for their negligence through punitive damages. In addition to compensation for your injuries, pain and suffering, punitive damages serve as a deterrent for the driver.
- Wrongful death. When a cyclist is killed in a crash, they leave behind bills and funeral costs – and the loss of future income for their family. Of course, their loss is felt emotionally as well. This loss of companionship and affection is priceless. The Virginia Wrongful Death Act provides a framework to compensate family members for certain losses
COMMON CAUSES OF BICYCLE ACCIDENTS
One of the most common causes of cycling accidents is driver error. Drivers who are distracted, speeding, or under the influence of drugs or alcohol are more likely to hit a cyclist. Drivers who do not see cyclists or fail to yield to them can also cause accidents.
Cyclist error can also contribute to cycling accidents. Cyclists who ride recklessly, ignore traffic laws, or fail to wear appropriate safety gear, such as helmets, are more likely to be involved in accidents. Of course, they’re often up against harsh road conditions. Potholes, debris, and uneven pavement can cause a cyclist to lose control of their bike and crash. Inclement weather, such as rain, snow, or ice, can make roads slippery and increase the risk of cycling accidents.
“Dooring” is another common cause of cycling injuries and fatalities. The term describes when a driver or passenger in a parked car opens their door into the path of an oncoming cyclist. This type of accident is common in urban areas where cyclists ride close to parked cars.
COMMON BICYCLE ACCIDENT INJURIES
Drivers are supposed to share the road with cyclists. Too often, though, this doesn’t happen. When motorists are negligent behind the wheel, collisions may occur. Unfortunately, in such collisions, cyclists are far more likely to suffer serious injuries than motorists. This is because of the sheer size difference between the average car and the standard road bike. Cyclists also lack safety devices like air bags.
Head injuries are among the most common type of bicycle accident injuries. Even when donning a helmet, a cyclist may suffer serious head injuries when colliding with a vehicle. This often leads to life-threatening injuries, long-term disabilities, and even fatalities. Traumatic brain injuries, for instance, may threaten a person’s ability to hold down a job or enjoy the same hobbies and activities they did before their accident.
Even when serious head injuries are avoided, cyclists often suffer injuries like fractures, lacerations, abrasions, and contusions. Soft tissue damage, like pulled muscles and sprains, are also possible. Concussions and whiplash are among the most common bicycle accident injuries.
If you’ve been involved in an accident, it’s important to immediately seek medical attention. Not all bicycle accident injuries are immediately apparent. When left untreated, injuries can lead to a lifetime of chronic pain issues.
STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS (DEADLINES)
In Virginia, there are strict deadlines for filing a lawsuit. In many cases, Virginia provides a two-year deadline also known as a Statute of Limitations. However, sometimes special circumstances apply and can alter that deadline. It is important to contact an experienced attorney as soon as possible after the accident to protect your rights.
VIRGINIA BICYCLE ACCIDENT LAWYER
If you were injured in a bicycle accident, call our Virginia bicycle lawyers or send us an email to set up an appointment. It’s free and there is no obligation. After learning more about what happened to you or your loved one, we will help you to understand your legal options. If you decide to retain us to represent you, we have a no fee promise – you pay no legal fees unless we settle or win your case.