Helping You Recover Compensation for Your Injuries and Anguish After an Accident that Wasn’t Your Fault
Motorcycle riders face risks every time they get on the road. Each year, an average of 5,000 bikers are killed on U.S. roadways. It’s a sobering statistic, especially when you consider that motorcycles only make up around three percent of vehicles on the road.
These figures have led to unfair stereotyping of bikers as thrill-seekers who put their own lives on the line. While motorcycles can indeed be thrilling, many motorcycle accidents are caused by other drivers – not the bikers themselves.
After the smoke has cleared, many bikers find themselves unsure about what’s next. Seeking medical attention, filing insurance claims, and dealing with the legal system is a lot for any person to handle on their own. That’s where we come in.
VIRGINIA MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT LAWYER
As a personal injury attorney, Richard Serpe fights for those injured in accidents caused by a negligent party. He’s earned a reputation as a well-respected, hard-working attorney with a tenacious approach to every case he takes on. As well, Richard Serpe has a track record of success in obtaining favorable jury verdicts and settlements for his clients.
MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT CLIENT REVIEW
“My experience with Richard Serpe can be summarized in two words, “absolute trust.” I came to Mr. Serpe on the advice of a friend after a car hit me while riding my motorcycle. I immediately sensed that Mr. Serpe was an extremely capable and professional attorney whose sole objective would be to look out for my best interests; and that’s precisely what he did.
He was candid and thorough when discussing the circumstances of my case and always ensured I understood the legal process and what to expect next. His advice was invaluable and enabled me to reach a settlement that fairly compensated me for the injuries I sustained and provided me with financial security.
I would not hesitate to contact Richard Serpe again if the situation necessitated it; I would recommend him to anyone.” – Don
VIRGINIA MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT SETTLEMENTS
When determining the value of a personal injury claim, it’s essential to consider the damage done in the wreck. The severity of injuries and the degree of property damage caused by the collision both factor into the equation. Another major fact? Whether or not there is insurance coverage and the policy limits.
COMPENSATORY DAMAGES AVAILABLE TO VICTIMS
Financial recovery comes in many types. Depending on the circumstances surrounding your accident, you may be entitled to one or more of the following compensatory damages:
- Medical costs: Any bills from your motorcycle accident can be factored into your settlement. This includes emergency transport services, hospital bills, ongoing treatment costs, and even the price of prescription medications.
- Lost wages: If you missed work because of your accident, the pay you lost out on can be recovered in a motorcycle wreck settlement. Whether you missed a week or a month of work, you shouldn’t have to bear the financial burden of lost wages because of another driver’s negligence.
- Pain and suffering: It’s often hard to imagine assigning a dollar value to the pain and suffering endured by motorcycle accident victims, but given the psychological damage often sustained in such crashes, this may be included in your settlement.
- Wrongful death: Motorcycle accidents sometimes result in fatalities, leaving families with enormous medical costs, funeral expenses, and lost income to bear. Compensation for these survivors won’t make up for their losses but can help financially put families on the right track.
COMMON MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT INJURIES
Motorcycle accidents can result in a wide range of injuries, some of which can be severe or life-threatening. Common motorcycle accident injuries include:
- Road rash: Road rash occurs when a motorcyclist’s skin comes into contact with the road surface during a crash. It can range from minor abrasions to deep wounds, which may require medical attention and potentially lead to infections.
- Fractures and broken bones: Motorcycle accidents frequently result in fractures and broken bones, particularly in the arms, legs, wrists, and collarbones. These injuries may require immobilization, surgery, and rehabilitation.
- Head injuries: Head injuries are a significant concern in motorcycle accidents, even if the rider is wearing a helmet. These injuries can range from concussions and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) to skull fractures. Head injuries can have long-lasting effects on cognitive function, motor skills, and overall quality of life.
- Spinal cord injuries: The impact of a motorcycle accident can cause damage to the spinal cord, resulting in paralysis or loss of motor function. Spinal cord injuries can have life-altering consequences, requiring extensive medical treatment, rehabilitation, and long-term care.
- Soft tissue injuries: Motorcycle accidents can lead to sprains, strains, and tears in the muscles, ligaments, and tendons. These soft tissue injuries can cause significant pain, swelling, and limited mobility.
- Internal injuries: The force of impact in a motorcycle accident can cause internal injuries, including internal bleeding, organ damage, or damage to the lungs, liver, or kidneys. These injuries may not always be immediately apparent and can be life-threatening if left untreated.
- Facial injuries: Facial injuries are common in motorcycle accidents, especially when riders are not wearing full-face helmets or protective gear. These injuries can include fractures, lacerations, eye injuries, and dental damage.
It’s important to note that this list is not exhaustive, and motorcycle accidents can result in a wide range of injuries depending on the specific circumstances of the crash. If you or someone you know has been involved in a motorcycle accident, seeking immediate medical attention and consulting with a legal professional is recommended.
MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT WRONGFUL DEATH
Losing a loved one in a motorcycle accident is an incredibly devastating and tragic event. In cases where the individual’s death was caused by the negligence or wrongful actions of another party, surviving family members have the option to pursue a wrongful death lawsuit. This legal recourse allows a representative of the deceased to seek justice on their behalf while holding the responsible party accountable for their actions.
While a Virginia wrongful death lawsuit cannot bring back the loved one or erase the pain of their loss, it can provide some measure of closure and financial support to the grieving family. The damages recovered through a successful wrongful death claim can help alleviate the financial burdens that often accompany an unexpected loss. These damages may include compensation for medical expenses incurred prior to the person’s passing, funeral and burial costs, loss of financial support, loss of companionship, and emotional suffering.
Bringing a wrongful death suit requires navigating a complex legal process, which can be overwhelming and emotionally draining for grieving family members. Hiring an experienced Virginia motorcycle accident lawyer to handle the legal aspects of the case can be an invaluable support during this difficult time. By entrusting your case to a skilled attorney, you can focus on grieving, healing, and being with your family, knowing that a knowledgeable professional is advocating for your rights and interests.
COMMON CAUSES OF MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENTS
- Rear-end collisions by cars and trucks
- Improper lane changes or the failure to use turn signals
- Motorcyclists forced off the road by a car or truck entering their lane of traffic
- Poor road conditions, such as potholes and excessive gravel on the highway
- Excessive speed causing reckless and careless driving
- Drunk drivers and drivers under the influence of drugs
- Failing to obey traffic laws – running stop signs, red lights, failing to yield
- Texting and distracted drivers
DO YOU NEED A MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT LAWYER?
Motorcycle accidents happen every day. Only some of them result in legal action. A Virginia personal injury lawyer can offer valuable insight into your legal options, providing much-needed guidance and representation for victims. Consider working with a Virginia motorcycle accident lawyer if:
- You Sustained Life-Altering Injuries: Life-altering, permanent disabilities can upend a person’s lifestyle. This is especially true if those injuries impact how a person earns a living. A Virginia motorcycle accident lawyer can help you negotiate a fair settlement or, if necessary, convince a jury to award you a settlement you deserve.
- Your Medical Bills Are Expense: Severe injuries don’t have to be permanent to change your way of life. Medical bills, ongoing physical therapy, and prescription medication costs add up quickly. The insurance industry tends to low-ball accident settlements so you may want a lawyer on your side representing your best interests.
- A Wrongful Death: Motorcycle accidents can result in fatalities, leaving families with enormous financial expenses. A lawyer experienced with Virginia’s wrongful death laws can help your family get justice.
DEALING WITH INSURANCE ADJUSTERS
It’s a good rule of thumb not to speak with the other driver’s insurance company by yourself. Insurance companies are businesses first and foremost, and they’re looking to pay the lowest amount for claims to make the most significant profit. Anything you say to the adjuster could potentially be used against you, so it’s wisest to direct them to your Virginia personal injury attorney.
Insurance adjusters will try to question you about the nature of your injuries, how much time or money you have lost, contact information for your doctor(s) and any witnesses to the accident, and any insurance information that family members may have; you do not need to answer any of these questions, and should politely redirect them to your attorney.
YOU DON’T HAVE TO GO IT ALONE
Insurance adjusters are trained to get you to say things that will ruin your case. If you choose our personal injury law firm, we immediately contact the insurance companies and inform them that they are no longer allowed to contact you. We will take over all communication dealing with insurance. They will have to go through us to get to you.
VIRGINIA MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT STATISTICS
Many people believe that motorcycles are inherently dangerous to drive. In reality, motorcycle crashes account for less than two percent of all accidents in Virginia. That’s not to say collisions involving motorcycles can’t be deadly. In fact, those driving motorcycles are at an increased risk of injury and death when compared to other motorists. In 2020, motorcycle riders made up 10 percent of all traffic fatalities in Virginia despite there being far fewer motorcycle crashes than other kinds of car accidents.
Another shocking Virginia motorcycle accident statistic? A majority of motorcycle crashes were caused through no fault of the motorcycle rider. Indeed, other motorists are far more likely to cause crashes involving motorcycles than bikers themselves. That’s because, as a rule, motorcycle riders tend to be very safe drivers. With fewer safety features built into their vehicle, bikers have to be in a constant state of defensive driving. Unfortunately, though, other drivers aren’t always as vigilant. Whether drunk, distracted, or speeding, mistakes made behind the wheel of a car, truck or SUV can often spell disaster for motorcyclists on the road.
STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS (DEADLINES)
Strict deadlines in Virginia limit the time motorcycle accident victims have to file a lawsuit. Two years is the standard Statute of Limitations, but deadlines can be extended or shortened in certain circumstances. Speak with a Virginia motorcycle accident attorney as soon as possible to ensure you don’t miss important deadlines and miss out on compensation entirely.
VIRGINIA MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT ATTORNEY
Contact our Virginia motorcycle accident lawyers if you or your loved one was involved in an accident. The sooner we can get started on your case, the sooner you can put this all behind you. With over 36 years of experience and hard-won results, Richard Serpe has the knowledge and skills to get the job done. Call us any time to get started with a free consultation at 877-544-5323.