Virginia Head-On Collision Car Accident Lawyer
Head-on collision accidents are among the most devastating and dangerous types of accidents on the road. These accidents occur when two vehicles traveling in opposite directions collide front-end to front-end. Due to the force involved and the nature of the impact, head-on collisions often result in severe injuries, fatalities, and extensive property damage. In this article, we will explore how head-on collisions happen, the common injuries they cause, and when it may be necessary to hire a Virginia car accident lawyer to protect your rights and seek compensation.
Causes of Head-On Collision Accidents
Several factors contribute to head-on collision accidents, and understanding their causes can help raise awareness and prevent such incidents. Here are some common causes of head-on collisions:
- Distracted driving: Distractions such as texting, talking on the phone, eating, or adjusting the radio can cause a driver to drift into the opposing lane, resulting in a head-on collision.
- Impaired driving: Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs significantly impairs a driver’s judgment, reaction time, and coordination. Impaired drivers may veer into oncoming traffic, leading to a catastrophic head-on collision.
- Fatigue and drowsy driving: Falling asleep at the wheel or driving while excessively fatigued can cause a driver to drift across the centerline into the path of oncoming vehicles.
- Incorrect overtaking or passing: If a driver attempts to overtake another vehicle without sufficient visibility or misjudges the distance, they may collide head-on with an oncoming vehicle.
Common Injuries in Head-On Collisions
Head-on collisions often result in severe and life-threatening injuries due to the high impact involved. Some common injuries associated with head-on collisions include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs): The force of impact can cause head injuries, concussions, and traumatic brain injuries. These injuries may lead to long-term cognitive impairments, memory loss, or permanent disability.
- Spinal cord injuries: Head-on collisions can cause spinal cord injuries, resulting in paralysis, loss of sensation, or partial disability. These injuries often significantly impact the victim’s quality of life.
- Broken bones: The impact of a head-on collision can cause fractures to the arms, legs, ribs, pelvis, and other bones. Fractures may require surgery, immobilization, and extensive rehabilitation.
- Internal injuries: The sudden deceleration and impact in head-on collisions can cause severe internal injuries, such as organ damage, internal bleeding, and abdominal injuries. Immediate medical attention is crucial to diagnose and treat these injuries effectively.
When to Hire a Virginia Car Accident Lawyer
If you have been involved in a head-on collision caused by another party’s negligence or recklessness, it is important to consider hiring a Virginia car accident lawyer to protect your legal rights and seek compensation. Here are situations where hiring a lawyer is ideal:
- Severe injuries: If you have sustained severe injuries with long-term consequences, such as brain injuries or spinal cord injuries, an experienced Virginia personal injury lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and ensure you receive fair compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
- Disputed liability: If there is a dispute over who was at fault in the head-on collision, an attorney can gather evidence, consult with accident reconstruction experts, and build a strong case on your behalf to establish liability and pursue appropriate compensation.
- Insurance company challenges: Dealing with insurance companies can be complex and challenging. An experienced Virginia car accident attorney can handle negotiations with the insurance company, protecting your interests and ensuring you receive a fair settlement.
- Legal complexities: Head-on collision cases involve complex legal procedures and requirements. An attorney with expertise in Virginia personal injury law can navigate the legal system, handle the paperwork, and advocate for your rights throughout the process.
How Often Do Head-On Collisions Occur?
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), head-on collisions are among the deadliest types of accidents on U.S. roads. In a report published by the NHTSA in 2019, it was revealed that head-on collisions accounted for approximately 10% of all fatal crashes. The report further emphasized that head-on collisions are particularly dangerous due to the high impact forces involved, often resulting in catastrophic injuries and fatalities.
Virginia Head-On Collision Car Accident Lawyer
Head-on collision accidents can have devastating consequences, leading to severe injuries and significant emotional and financial burdens. Understanding the causes of these accidents, the common injuries they cause, and when to hire a Virginia car accident lawyer is crucial for protecting your legal rights and seeking appropriate compensation. Virginia personal injury Attorney Richard Serpe has more than 37 years of hard-won experience and results helping his clients get justice. We’ve obtained successful settlements and verdicts in Virginia car accident cases. If you have been involved in a head-on collision, contact the Law Offices of Richard J. Serpe, PC for a free consultation to discuss your situation. Call or text us anytime at 757-233-0009.