Helping Your Recover the Compensation You Deserve after an Accident That Wasn’t Your Fault.
When faced with a personal injury case, hiring a Portsmouth, Virginia personal injury lawyer can greatly enhance your chances of receiving fair compensation and navigating the legal complexities involved. A Portsmouth personal injury lawyer brings invaluable expertise in Virginia’s specific laws and regulations pertaining to personal injury claims. They possess a deep understanding of local court procedures, precedents, and the unique challenges associated with personal injury cases in Portsmouth.
An experienced personal injury lawyer will diligently investigate your case, gather evidence, negotiate with insurance companies, and advocate on your behalf to maximize your recovery. Whether you have suffered injuries in a car accident, slip and fall incident, or any other personal injury matter, hiring a reputable Virginia personal injury lawyer ensures that your rights are protected and gives you peace of mind throughout the legal process.
PORTSMOUTH PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER
For over 37 years, Richard Serpe has helped personal injury victims seek the compensation they deserve. He’s earned a reputation as a well-respected, hard-working attorney with a tenacious approach to every case he takes on. Mr. Serpe has a track record of success in obtaining favorable settlements and verdicts for his clients.
Best Lawyers® (2005 – Present); Norfolk Personal Injury Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers (2020); Virginia Super Lawyer: (2006 – Present); Avvo.com : Rated 10/10 – “Superb”, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory: AV Preeminent rating (highest given).
WHEN TO CONSIDER A PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER
Hiring a personal injury lawyer is essential in several situations where you have suffered harm due to someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing. Here are some circumstances that warrant hiring a personal injury lawyer:
- Serious Injuries: If you have sustained severe injuries that require extensive medical treatment, long-term care, or result in disability, a Portsmouth, VA personal injury lawyer can help ensure you receive fair compensation to cover your medical expenses, rehabilitation costs, lost wages, and future care needs.
- Complex Liability: When the liability for the accident or injury is disputed or unclear, it is crucial to have a lawyer who can investigate the incident, gather evidence, interview witnesses, and establish a strong case to prove the other party’s negligence or fault.
- Insurance Disputes: Dealing with insurance companies can be challenging, as they may attempt to minimize or deny your claim. A Portsmouth, VA personal injury lawyer can advocate on your behalf, negotiate with the insurance adjusters, and protect your rights to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
- Legal Expertise: Portsmouth, VA personal injury lawyers have specialized knowledge of the laws, regulations, and procedures pertaining to personal injury cases. They understand the intricacies of the legal system and can guide you through the process, ensuring your case is handled professionally and maximizing your chances of a favorable outcome.
- Time Limitations: Virginia personal injury claims are subject to specific statutes of limitations, which vary by jurisdiction. It is important to consult with a lawyer promptly to ensure you meet all necessary deadlines for filing your claim.
Remember, each case is unique, and consulting with a personal injury lawyer will help you determine the best course of action based on the specific details of your situation.
COMPENSATION FOR PERSONAL INJURY VICTIMS
Settlement amounts are based on both the damage done and the severity of your injuries. Other major factors? Whether or not there is insurance coverage and the policy limits. Agreed to in the insurance policy purchased by the insured, policy limits often represent the ceiling for settlement negotiations. Depending on the specifics of your accident, you may be entitled to one or more of the following types of compensation:
- Medical Treatment. When a negligent party has caused your injuries, why should you have to pay for the medical treatment you receive? By seeking compensation for all the care necessary for your healing process, you can recover costs including hospital bills, physical therapy and any future medical expenses associated with the injury.
- Lost Income. Serious accidents can put people out of work for days, months, or even permanently. Loss of earnings due to your injuries can often be recovered through a settlement. And if your injury has permanently affected your ability to earn a living, although complicated, future loss of income may be included.
- Pain and Suffering. Pain and suffering is measured by the severity of the accident, your injury and the pain you have suffered.
- Wrongful Death. When a loved one was killed in an accident caused by someone else, they leave behind bills and funeral costs – and the loss of future income for their family. Of course, their loss is felt emotionally as well. This loss of companionship and affection is priceless. Learn more about Virginia wrongful death cases.
VIRGINIA PERSONAL INJURY SETTLEMENTS
- $2,000,000.00: severe birth injury
- $1,600,000.00: drunk driving injury
- $2,500,000.00: wrongful deaths
- $134,000.00: child dog bite injury
- $100,000.00: pedestrian hit by car
VIRGINIA PERSONAL INJURY CASES
Personal injury cases involve incidents that occur because of unintentional or intentional acts that result in harm to an innocent party. Common personal injury cases include the following:
- Car Accidents: Car accidents are one of the most prevalent personal injury cases. They can occur in various forms, such as rear-end accidents, where a vehicle strikes another from behind, and head-on collisions, which often result in severe injuries.
- Motorcycle Accidents: Motorcycle accidents can be particularly devastating due to the lack of protection for riders. These cases often involve serious injuries and require the expertise of a personal injury lawyer familiar with motorcycle accident laws.
- Pedestrian Accidents: When a pedestrian is struck by a vehicle, the injuries can be severe or even fatal. Pedestrian accidents typically occur at crosswalks, intersections, or due to driver negligence or distracted driving.
- Drunk Driving Injuries: Accidents caused by drunk drivers can lead to significant injuries or fatalities. These cases often involve both civil and criminal proceedings, and hiring a personal injury lawyer is crucial to protect the victim’s rights and seek appropriate compensation.
- Bicycle Accidents: Bicycle accidents can result in severe injuries for cyclists, especially when they involve collisions with motor vehicles. Personal injury lawyers experienced in handling bicycle accident cases can help victims pursue compensation for their injuries and property damage.
- Wrongful Death: Wrongful death cases arise when a person’s death is caused by the negligence or intentional actions of another party. These cases require compassionate legal representation to assist the surviving family members in seeking justice and compensation.
- Dog Bites: Dog bite cases can result in serious injuries, including physical and emotional trauma. Personal injury lawyers can help victims understand their rights and pursue compensation from dog owners or responsible parties.
- Boating Accidents: Boating accidents can occur due to operator negligence, intoxication, or unsafe conditions. Personal injury lawyers specializing in maritime law can assist victims in seeking compensation for their injuries and property damage.
- Birth Injury: Birth injury cases involve harm caused to an infant during childbirth due to medical negligence or errors. These cases require the expertise of Virginia personal injury lawyers experienced in medical malpractice to establish liability and seek compensation.
- Traumatic Brain Injury: Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) can result from various accidents, including car accidents, falls, or workplace incidents. Personal injury lawyers specializing in TBI cases can help victims pursue compensation for medical expenses, rehabilitation, and long-term care.
Personal injury claims center around proving that the injured person was hurt because of the actions or wrongdoing of another. If you can prove fault, you may be entitled to financial compensation for the losses suffered, no matter the type of accident.
HOW LONG WILL MY PERSONAL INJURY CASE TAKE?
Every case is unique, but here are a few of the main steps in the process:
- Free Consultation: You’ll share your story and learn about your legal options during an initial consultation. This leads to a decision of whether to work together or not. If the you decide to hire our firm, you’ll sign an agreement allowing us to represent you.
- Investigation: Our team will work to investigate the accident that caused your injuries. We’ll be looking into the statements of witnesses, the police accident reports, and photographs taken at the scene. In more complex cases, we may even hire experts to better understand what led to the incident.
- Your Recovery: It’s important that you’ve reached maximum medical improvement (when your condition cannot be improved any further), before negotiating with the insurance company. This will ensure that all of your medical bills are included in the settlement, as well as any permanent long-term care that you will need.
- Documentation: Our legal team will work with your healthcare providers to assemble all the information needed for your case.
- Settlement Negotiations: We will then submit all of our evidence to the insurance company and state our case. Most cases are resolved at this point, but negotiations with the insurance company can continue for a lengthy period of time. If a fair settlement cannot be reached, a lawsuit may be filed.
- Resolution: Filing a lawsuit puts the timing of your case in the hands of the court system’s legal process. However, during this time, both parties may agree to mediate in an attempt to settle outside of court. If an agreement cannot be made, your case may go before a judge and jury.
STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS (DEADLINES)
In Virginia, there are strict deadlines for filing a lawsuit. In many cases, Virginia provides a two-year deadline also known as a Statute of Limitations (SOL). However, sometimes special circumstances apply that can alter that deadline. After this deadline has passed, Virginia law will not allow you to file a claim or lawsuit to recover money from your accident.
While two years may seem like a long time, the investigation, medical treatment, and negotiations can be quite lengthy depending on the severity of your accident. Protect your right to compensation and speak with a Virginia or Portsmouth personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.
If you’d like to speak with our team about your potential case, contact us for a free consultation (757-233-0009).
PORTSMOUTH, VIRGINIA PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER
Our Portsmouth personal injury lawyers will work on your behalf to get a fair settlement, and only charge legal fees if you receive a settlement or verdict. We understand the fees associated with a lawsuit can be a barrier to justice. Our firm believes that everyone should have a voice when it comes to asserting their rights. Corporations and insurance companies have tremendous resources, and our no-fee promise levels the playing field.