Helping You Recover Compensation for Your Injuries and Anguish After a Norfolk Bicycle Accident that Wasn’t Your Fault
When involved in a Norfolk, Virginia bicycle accident, the consequences can be devastating, both physically and emotionally. If you have been injured in such an incident, you may find yourself facing medical expenses, loss of income, and pain and suffering. In such circumstances, hiring a Norfolk, Virginia bicycle accident lawyer can be a crucial step towards protecting your rights and pursuing fair compensation.
A skilled and experienced bicycle accident lawyer understands the complexities of these cases and can guide you through the legal process, ensuring your best interests are represented and that you receive the justice and financial recovery you deserve.
NORFOLK, VIRGINIA BICYCLE ACCIDENT LAWYER
As a Norfolk, Virginia personal injury attorney, Richard Serpe advocates for those who have been injured due to the negligence of another person, dangerous product, or company. A substantial portion of his 37-year legal career has been devoted to the representation and protection of injured children. His Virginia personal injury practice has a track record of success in obtaining favorable settlements and verdicts for his clients.
WHEN TO CONSIDER A LAWYER
While not all accidents lead to legal disputes, there are certain situations where seeking the guidance of an attorney can prove immensely beneficial. Here are several scenarios that may warrant the hiring of an attorney:
- Life-Altering Injuries: If you sustain permanent injuries as a result of being hit by a car, you may face a lifelong struggle with various challenges, particularly when it affects your ability to earn a living. In such cases, an experienced Norfolk bicycle accident lawyer can effectively convey the long-term impact of your injury to insurance companies and a jury, ensuring they understand the profound implications it will have on your life.
- Severe Injuries: Even if your injuries are not permanent, if they are severe enough, you are likely to incur substantial medical expenses and suffer from lost wages. While you might expect the insurance company to have your back, this couldn’t be further from the truth. If they see any opportunity to deny a claim or minimize a settlement, they’ll take it. An experienced Norfolk bicycle accident attorney will know how to handle the tricks of the insurance trade and fight to get you the settlement you deserve.
- Uncertain Liability: Determining fault in an accident is not always straightforward, particularly when multiple parties are involved. Insurance companies often attempt to shift liability to other insurers. Additionally, if there are numerous injuries, the available compensation may be limited. In some cases, it may be unclear whether the at-fault driver possesses any insurance coverage at all. By hiring an experienced Norfolk bicycle accident lawyer, you can ensure that all potential avenues for compensation are thoroughly explored.
HOW A BICYCLE ACCIDENT LAWYER CAN HELP
Here are a few ways a Virginia car accident attorney can use their legal education, experience, and expertise to protect your rights and add value to your claim:
- Investigate your accident and determine the potential value of your claim
- Protect you from abusive insurance company tactics and costly mistakes
- Negotiate with the insurance company for a favorable financial recovery
- File a lawsuit and go to trial if the insurance company won’t offer a fair settlement
Schedule your free consultation today by calling or texting 757-233-0009.
COMPENSATION FOR BICYCLE ACCIDENT VICTIMS
Depending on the specifics of the crash, cyclists may be entitled to one or more of the following types of compensation:
- Medical treatment. When a negligent driver has caused your injuries, you shouldn’t have to pay for the medical treatment you receive. You may be able to recover costs including hospital bills, physical therapy and any future medical expenses associated with the injury.
- Lost wages. Bicycle accidents can put people out of work for days, weeks and even months. If your bicycle accident injures cause you to miss work, you can sue for the paychecks you missed out on. If you are unable to return to work because of your injuries, future loss of income may be included in you settlement.
- Pain and suffering. The emotional and psychological pain of an accident can outlast even the most serious of physical injuries. Especially if your injuries are permanent, and you aren’t able to get on a bike again.
- Punitive damages. Reckless, careless drivers are often punished for their negligence through punitive damages. In addition to compensation for your injuries, pain and suffering, punitive damages serve as a deterrent for the driver.
- Wrongful death. When a cyclist is killed in a crash, they leave behind bills and funeral costs – and the loss of future income for their family. Of course, their loss is felt emotionally as well. This loss of companionship and affection is priceless. The Virginia Wrongful Death Act provides a framework to compensate family members for certain losses
COMMON CAUSES OF BICYCLE ACCIDENTS
One of the most common causes of cycling accidents is driver error. Drivers who are distracted, speeding, or under the influence of drugs or alcohol are more likely to hit a cyclist. Drivers who do not see cyclists or fail to yield to them can also cause accidents.
Cyclist error can also contribute to cycling accidents. Cyclists who ride recklessly, ignore traffic laws, or fail to wear appropriate safety gear, such as helmets, are more likely to be involved in accidents. Of course, they’re often up against harsh road conditions. Potholes, debris, and uneven pavement can cause a cyclist to lose control of their bike and crash. Inclement weather, such as rain, snow, or ice, can make roads slippery and increase the risk of cycling accidents.
“Dooring” is another common cause of cycling injuries and fatalities. The term describes when a driver or passenger in a parked car opens their door into the path of an oncoming cyclist. This type of accident is common in urban areas where cyclists ride close to parked cars.
COMMON BICYCLE ACCIDENT INJURIES
Drivers are supposed to share the road with cyclists. Too often, though, this doesn’t happen. When motorists are negligent behind the wheel, collisions may occur. Unfortunately, in such collisions, cyclists are far more likely to suffer serious injuries than motorists. This is because of the sheer size difference between the average car and the standard road bike. Cyclists also lack safety devices like air bags.
Head injuries are among the most common type of bicycle accident injuries. Even when donning a helmet, a cyclist may suffer serious head injuries when colliding with a vehicle. This often leads to life-threatening injuries, long-term disabilities, and even fatalities. Traumatic brain injuries, for instance, may threaten a person’s ability to hold down a job or enjoy the same hobbies and activities they did before their accident.
Even when serious head injuries are avoided, cyclists often suffer injuries like fractures, lacerations, abrasions, and contusions. Soft tissue damage, like pulled muscles and sprains, are also possible. Concussions and whiplash are among the most common bicycle accident injuries.
If you’ve been involved in an accident, it’s important to immediately seek medical attention. Not all bicycle accident injuries are immediately apparent. When left untreated, injuries can lead to a lifetime of chronic pain issues.
STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS (DEADLINES)
In Virginia, there are strict deadlines for filing a lawsuit. In many cases, Virginia provides a two-year deadline also known as a Statute of Limitations. However, sometimes special circumstances apply and can alter that deadline. It is important to contact an experienced attorney as soon as possible after the accident to protect your rights.
NORFOLK, VIRGINIA BICYCLE ACCIDENT LAWYER
If you were injured in a bicycle accident, call our Norfolk, Virginia bicycle accident lawyers or send us an email to set up an appointment. It’s free and there is no obligation. After learning more about what happened to you or your loved one, we will help you to understand your legal options. If you decide to retain us to represent you, we have a no fee promise – you pay no legal fees unless we settle or win your case. Free consultations >>757-233-0009<<