Virginia is a jet ski paradise. Whether you’re steering your sea-doo through waves at the Virginia Beach oceanfront, cruising on your Kawasaki on the Chesapeake Bay, or making a splash on your WaveRunner on Smith Mountain Lake– jet ski fans are sure to have a blast on our waterways. When personal watercraft operators disregard basic safety measures, though, dangerous accidents are bound to happen.
If you have been involved in a jet ski accident and have suffered injuries or damages, it may be in your best interest to hire a Virginia personal injury lawyer. Jet ski accident cases can be complex, involving various legal aspects and potential liability issues. An experienced Virginia jet ski accident lawyer can navigate through the legal complexities, gather evidence, assess liability, and advocate for your rights.
VIRGINIA JET SKI ACCIDENT LAWYER
The Law Offices of Richard J. Serpe, PC is a Virginia personal injury law firm serving clients throughout the Commonwealth and beyond. Virginia personal injury Attorney Richard Serpe has more than 37 years of hard-won experience and results helping his clients get justice. We’ve obtained successful settlements and verdicts in personal injury cases of all varieties.
Awards & Recognition: Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating, Named a Virginia “Super Lawyer” – top 5% of lawyers (2006 – Present), Lawyers.com 5/5 Star Rating, Rated 10/10 “Superb” by Avvo.com, Recognized by Best Lawyers in America® (2005 – Present).
COMPENSATION FOR JET SKI ACCIDENT VICTIMS
If you’ve been injured in a jet ski accident through no fault of your own, we can help fight for the fair compensation you deserve.
- Medical costs. Medical costs can quickly accumulate after an accident, including emergency care, hospitalization, surgeries, rehabilitation, medication, and ongoing treatments.
- Lost wages. If the accident resulted in injuries that prevented you from working, you may be eligible to receive compensation for the income you lost during your recovery period.
- Wrongful death. Losing a loved one in a jet ski accident is a tragic and devastating event. By filing a wrongful death claim, surviving family members may seek compensation for various damages, including medical expenses, funeral and burial costs, loss of financial support, loss of companionship, and emotional suffering.
COMMON CAUSES OF JET SKI ACCIDENTS
- Inadequate Operator Training: Insufficient knowledge and training on operating a jet ski can contribute to accidents. Understanding how to control the jet ski, navigate safely, and respond to various situations is crucial to avoid collisions and other mishaps.
- Reckless or Inexperienced Operation: Jet skis can reach high speeds, and operating them in a reckless manner or without proper experience increases the likelihood of accidents. This includes excessive speeding, abrupt maneuvers, and failure to follow safety guidelines.
- Collisions with Other Vessels: Jet skis share waterways with other boats and watercraft. Collisions can occur when jet ski operators fail to maintain a safe distance, disregard navigation rules, or underestimate the speed and maneuverability of other vessels.
- Hazardous Water Conditions: Rough water, strong currents, submerged objects, or shallow areas can pose dangers to jet ski riders. Ignoring weather warnings or failing to assess water conditions can lead to accidents, including capsizing or running aground.
- Distracted Operation: Distractions, such as using mobile devices, talking with passengers, or being under the influence of alcohol or drugs, can impair an operator’s judgment and reaction time, increasing the risk of accidents.
- Equipment Failure: Mechanical failures or malfunctions in jet skis, such as steering or throttle issues, can result in loss of control and accidents. Regular maintenance, inspections, and addressing any mechanical concerns promptly can help prevent such incidents.
STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS (DEADLINES)
Virginia’s statute of limitations requires victims to file a lawsuit within a certain time frame after the accident. Once you have missed this deadline, you will no longer be able to file a claim. Of course, every case is different, and this deadline depends upon the circumstances surround the situation. For this reason, you should contact an experienced attorney as soon as possible.
VIRGINIA JET SKI ACCIDENT LAWYER
The Law Offices of Richard J. Serpe, PC is here to help you and your family. Richard Serpe has a Masters Degree (LLM) in maritime law from Tulane University School of Law, and has obtained the highest ranking (Proctor) from the Maritime Law Association of the United States. Richard Serpe has years of experiences protecting the rights of the injured. If you have been injured in a jet ski accident, you may need an experienced maritime injury lawyer. Contact us for a free consultation 757-233-0009.