Newport News Personal Injury Lawyer FAQs
- When should I hire a personal injury lawyer?
- How is a personal injury settlement calculated?
- What are the time deadlines for filing a claim?
- How much will a personal injury lawyer cost?
- What types of cases does Serpe Firm handle?
When should I hire a personal injury lawyer?
We highly recommend that you contact a Virginia or Newport News personal injury lawyer if you have experienced any of the following:
- Permanent Injuries: If you are permanently injured after an accident, it is likely that you will face life-long challenges including medical care.
- Severe Injuries: Even when not permanent, severe injuries can result in expensive medical bills.
- Wrongful Death: The Virginia wrongful death act allows certain family members to bring a claim for the losses they have suffered from the death of their loved one.
- You’ve Never Handled a Claim or Lawsuit: Insurance companies know that most people have never been through the personal injury claims process. If they see any chance to deny or minimize a claim, they’ll take it.
- Low Settlement Offer: Insurance companies will often make low-ball offers hoping to quickly settle a claim. Unfortunately, though, these offers come with an agreement that you will not seek additional compensation for damages relating to the accident.
- Liability Is Uncertain: It’s not always clear who is at fault in an accident and who should be held liable. When multiple parties are involved, the insurance companies will do all they can to shift liability to another insurer. If there are numerous injuries, there may be less money to go around.
How is a personal injury settlement calculated?
Information About Insurance Policy Limits
Policy limits are caps set by the insurance company which limit the size of a settlement they are willing to pay. Agreed to in the insurance policy purchased by the insured, policy limits often represent the ceiling for settlement negotiations. Even if your claim is less than the policy limit, insurance companies make low-ball settlement offers at first. A lawyer can help you negotiate a fair settlement.
Compensation That May Be Available to You
Depending on the details of your personal injury, you may be entitled to the following types of compensation:
- Past & Future Medical Bills: Ambulance rides, surgeries, months of physical therapy– medical bills can add up quickly. A personal injury lawyer can help you seek compensation for those bills, and any future medical expenses related to your injury.
- Past & Future Paychecks: If you’re hospitalized after your accident, there’s a good chance you’ll miss work while you recuperate. Seek the paychecks you missed out on. Accidents can put people out of work for months or permanently, so the loss of earnings should also be included in your settlement.
- Pain and Suffering: Pain and suffering may be included in your settlement.
- Wrongful death: If your loved one was killed in an accident, you’re probably grief-stricken and wondering how you’ll shoulder medical bills, funeral costs – not to mention the loss of future income for your family. The emotional loss cannot be understated either. The Virginia wrongful death statute allows certain family members to bring a claim for the losses they have suffered related to the death of a loved one.
Virginia Personal Injury Claim Deadlines
Under Virginia law, it is necessary to file a personal injury lawsuit within strict deadlines imposed by law. In many cases, Virginia provides for a two-year deadline also known as a Statute of Limitations. However, every case is different and this deadline could vary depending on the circumstances of the situation.
Don’t Wait Too Long
While two years might seem like a long time, the investigation and negotiation processes can be lengthy. To protect your rights, you should speak with a Virginia personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. Once you have missed this deadline, you will no longer be able to file a claim.
How much will a personal injury lawyer cost?
We understand the fees associated with a lawsuit can be a barrier to justice. Corporations and insurance companies have tremendous resources, and our no-fee promise levels the playing field. Our no-fee promise means that you don’t owe us any legal fees unless we settle or win your case. Our personal injury lawyers will work on your behalf to get a fair settlement, and only charge legal fees if you receive a settlement or verdict.
Allow the Serpe Firm team to be your advocate in your time of need. Our Virginia and Newport News personal injury lawyers will fight for the best possible outcome on your behalf.
Personal Injury Cases We Handle
We will protect your legal rights and fight for the maximum compensation you deserve.
- Maritime Lawyer: tugboats, barges, fishing boats, cruise ships, cargo ships, maintenance and cure
- Car Accidents: involving cars, trucks, bicycles, pedestrians, motorcycles, uninsured/underinsured motorists
- Dog Bites & Attacks: for children, adults, mail carriers, delivery truck drivers, pedestrians, joggers, etc.
- Guardrail Accidents: defective, outdated, and improperly installed guardrails causing injury and death
- Nursing Home Neglect: falls, bed and pressure sores, medication errors, wrongful death
- Wrongful Death: wrongful death of a loved one due to someone else’s negligence
- Birth Injury: Inadequate training, defective drugs, and ineffective policies can all lead to medical mistakes.
- Child Lead Poisoning: lead poisoning can cause long-term permanent cognitive injuries in children
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: faulty equipment/appliances, improper repairs, improper venting, and faulty detectors