Representing Individuals & Families Injured by a Drunk Driver
After being injured in Virginia drunk driving accident that wasn’t your fault, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. Your injuries, insurance adjusters, the at-fault party, and the legal system are a lot for anyone to face. Insurance companies know most people are inexperienced with the Virginia personal injury claims process. Even if a drunk driver is clearly at-fault for your injuries, if they see an opportunity to minimize your settlement, they’ll take it.
We take special care in fighting for victims who have suffered serious injuries from the negligent choices of a drunk driver. Mothers Against Drunk Drivers says it’s the most frequently committed violent crime in America. Indeed, drunk driving is one of the leading causes of fatal accidents in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
NORFOLK PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER
For over 37 years, Richard Serpe has helped personal injury victims seek the compensation they deserve. He’s earned a reputation as a well-respected, hard-working attorney with a tenacious approach to every case he takes on. Mr. Serpe has a track record of success in obtaining favorable settlements and verdicts for his clients.
Best Lawyers® (2005 – Present); Norfolk Personal Injury Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers (2020); Virginia Super Lawyer: (2006 – Present); Avvo.com : Rated 10/10 – “Superb”, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory: AV Preeminent rating (highest given)
COMPENSATION FOR VICTIMS
Depending on the circumstances of your accident, you may be eligible for the following types compensatory damages:
- Medical Expenses – Medical bills add up fast. Regardless of whether you need an ambulance ride, extensive surgeries, or years of therapy, you shouldn’t have to bear the financial burden of such expenses.
- Lost Income – Did you need time off of work to recover from your accident? Lost earnings can be included in a drunk driving settlement.
- Pain and Suffering – While it’s hard to imagine attaching a dollar figure to the emotional pain and suffering you endured because of your accident, a settlement can help make you financially whole again after a crash.
- Punitive Damages – In some cases, judges may award drunk driving victims punitive damages. While rare, this form of compensation seeks to further motivate the drunk driver to never get behind the wheel under the influence again.
- Wrongful Death – Some drunk driving accidents result in tragic losses. The Virginia wrongful death statute allows surviving family members to sue the responsible parties for losses they’ve suffered after the death of a loved one.
DRUNK DRIVING WRONGFUL DEATH
Nothing can undo the damage of a drunk driving accident. That’s especially true when a victim dies in the collision. While it’s not possible to turn back the clock and prevent the incident from occurring, Virginia law does allow families to take legal action on behalf of the deceased. Wrongful death lawsuits can help recoup the costs of funeral expenses, lost wages, and the companionship the surviving family members will miss out on because of their loss.
There are strict requirements for bringing wrongful death cases in Virginia. Only the properly qualified personal representative of the estate can file. Many inexperienced lawyers misunderstand these eligibility requirements, permanently jeopardizing the rights of the surviving family members.
Statutory beneficiaries are the only individuals who can recover for a wrongful death case. These representatives seek legal justice for their deceased loved ones. Most often, the statutory beneficiary is a spouse, a child, or a stepchild. When no spouse or offspring exist, a deceased victim’s parents or siblings may pursue a wrongful death claim.
STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS (DEADLINES)
There are strict legal deadlines for filing a Virginia personal injury lawsuit known as the statue of limitations. Accident victims have just two years from the date of the car accident to take action.
Delays in investigations can mean missing out on important pieces of evidence. Key witnesses may also become more difficult to locate over time. If you’ve been injured in a Virginia drunk driving accident, consider speaking with an attorney to protect your legal rights.
INJURIES CAUSED BY DRUNK DRIVING ACCIDENTS
Regardless of how defensively you drive, a drunk driver can appear out of nowhere and cause a crash. Whether it’s a rear-end collision, a T-bone crash, or a head-on collision, the impact can be traumatic. Many drunk driving accidents leave victims with serious and even life-threatening injuries. Some of the most common drunk driving accident injuries include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries – Any bump, blow, or hit to the head can result in a traumatic brain injury, or TBI. These kinds of injuries can disrupt brain function, and those suffering from extreme TBI may require round-the-clock care.
- Spinal Cord Injuries – Paralysis can result from spinal cord injuries. Victims may require wheelchairs, modifications to their homes, and more accessible transportation options. This can all be incredibly costly.
- Broken Bones – Multiple broken bones may require extensive surgeries, physical therapy, and assistance with daily tasks.
- Internal Injuries – Some injuries exhibit no external signs or symptoms. Because of this, they’re considered especially dangerous. That’s why it’s important to seek medical attention after an accident regardless of whether or not you feel okay. Only a doctor can truly assess you and diagnose you after a wreck.
Many drunk drivers walk away from their accidents without a scratch. Meanwhile, accident victims may suffer injuries that impact them for the rest of their lives.
NORFOLK, VIRGINIA DRUNK DRIVING LAWYER
Our firm has helped victims of drunk driving accidents for decades. During times of suffering and loss, allow us to lead you through the claims process and handle difficult conversations with the insurance company for you. Sensitive to the need for prompt, thorough investigations, our team understands what is necessary to prevail against the person responsible for your injuries and losses.
Schedule your free consultation today. A single meeting with an experienced Norfolk drunk driving accident attorney can help clarify your options and give you insight into next steps.