Accidents happen. Victims of such incidents deserve compensation for their damages past, present, and future. Thankfully, there are legal options for those injured because of someone else’s reckless or negligent behavior.
Petersburg Personal Injury Lawyer FAQs
- Should I hire a personal injury lawyer?
- How is an injury settlement calculated?
- What are the deadlines for filing a claim?
- How much does an injury lawyer cost?
- What types of cases do you handle?
Should I hire a personal injury lawyer?
We highly recommend you contact a Petersburg personal injury lawyer if you are facing any of the following after an accident:
- Life-Altering Injuries: If you are permanently injured after an accident, it is likely that you will be facing a lifelong battle of challenges. Long-term injuries often impact a person’s ability to earn a living.
- Your Injuries Are Severe: Even when not permanent, severe injuries can still be debilitating resulting in expensive medical bills and missed work.
- Liability Is Uncertain: It’s not always clear who is at fault in an accident and who should be held liable. When multiple parties are involved, the insurance companies will do all they can to shift liability to another insurer. If there are numerous injuries, there may be less money to go around.
- Low-Ball Offers From Insurance: Insurance companies will often make quick low-ball offers hoping to settle a claim as soon as they can. Unfortunately, if you accept an offer, you will no longer be allowed to ask for more money relating to your injuries.
How is a Virginia personal injury settlement calculated?
There are many factors that go into a settlement amount. Some factors include whether or not there is insurance coverage and how much is available. Depending on the specifics of your accident, you may be entitled to one or more of the following types of compensation.
- Medical Bills: You may seek compensation for any medical care related to the accident. This often includes hospital bills, physical therapy, surgeries, and future medical bills if your injuries are life-altering.
- Lost Wages & Future Earnings: Some personal injuries leave victims out of work for weeks, months, or even permanently. You may seek compensation to recover those lost wages. If you are no longer able to work due to your injuries, this can be factored into the settlement too.
- Pain and Suffering: Long after the physical wounds heal, the emotional pain of an accident can linger. You may ask that pain and suffering be considered as part of your settlement.
- Wrongful Death: When a loved one is killed in a personal injury accident, they leave behind bills, funeral costs, and the loss of future income for their family. Of course, their loss is felt emotionally as well. This loss of companionship and affection is priceless. A personal injury lawyer experienced with the Wrongful Death act will fight on behalf of your family.
What are the Deadlines for filing a claim?
In Virginia, there are strict deadlines for filing a lawsuit. In many cases, Virginia provides a two-year deadline also known as a Statute of Limitations (SOL). However, sometimes special circumstances apply that can alter that deadline.
Once the SOL has passed, you will no longer be allowed to seek compensation for injuries relating to that accident. That is why it is important to contact an experienced auto accident lawyer as soon as possible to discuss your situation.
How much will a personal injury lawyer cost?
We understand the fees associated with a lawsuit can be a barrier to justice. Corporations and insurance companies have tremendous resources, and our no-fee promise levels the playing field. Our no-fee promise means that you don’t owe us any legal fees unless we settle or win your case. Our personal injury lawyers will work on your behalf to get a fair settlement, and only charge legal fees if you receive a settlement or verdict.
Allow the Serpe Firm team to be your advocate in your time of need. Our Virginia and Petersburg personal injury lawyers will fight for the best possible outcome on your behalf.
Cases We Handle
We will protect your legal rights and fight for the maximum compensation you deserve.
- Car Accidents: involving cars, trucks, bicycles, pedestrians, motorcycles, uninsured/underinsured motorists
- Dog Bites & Attacks: for children, adults, mail carriers, delivery truck drivers, pedestrians, joggers, etc.
- Guardrail Accidents: defective, outdated, and improperly installed guardrails causing injury and death
- Nursing Home Neglect: falls, bed and pressure sores, medication errors, wrongful death
- Wrongful Death: wrongful death of a loved one due to someone else’s negligence
- Birth Injury: Inadequate training, defective drugs, and ineffective policies can all lead to medical mistakes.
- Child Lead Poisoning: lead poisoning can cause long-term permanent cognitive injuries in children
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: faulty equipment/appliances, improper repairs, improper venting, and faulty detectors
- Maritime Lawyer: tugboats, barges, fishing boats, cruise ships, cargo ships, maintenance and cure
Richard Serpe: Awards & Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating (highest given)
- Named a “Super Lawyer” – among the top 5 percent of lawyers in Virginia since 2006
- Lawyers.com 5/5 Star Rating
- Rated 10/10 – “Superb” by the online attorney rating service, Avvo.com
- Designated a Proctor by the Maritime Law Association of the United States (highest given)
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® since 2005