What to do After a Virginia Truck Accident
Tractor-trailer accidents can be fatal with extremely severe injuries sustained by those involved. It is important to know what to do after an accident with a tractor-trailer as the next steps you take are vital.
Because of the severe injuries suffered by many truck accident victims, trucking companies and their insurance companies have ‘rapid response’ teams on stand-by to fly in and sanitize their liability to an extraordinary extent. To level the playing field, truck accident victims should act quickly to hire an experienced lawyer to secure critical evidence.
Here is a guide for the steps to take after you are involved in a tractor-trailer accident, including different ways our firm can help you recover physically and financially.
Steps to Take After the Truck Accident
- Call 9-1-1 for help and to have the accident documented
- Take photos, videos & audio for evidence
- Don’t give any recorded statements to insurance adjusters
- Contact a truck accident lawyer to protect your legal rights
How Our Injury Lawyers Can Help You
If you or a loved one has sustained an injury from a tractor-trailer accident, contact our firm.
If you are permanently disabled or severely injured after a tractor-trailer accident, you may face a lifelong battle of challenges, especially if your injuries will affect your ability to work and earn a living. Experienced Virginia auto accident lawyers can help the car insurance companies, and a jury, understand just how much your injury will affect your life. We will fight for the financial compensation that you need and deserve.
Compensation for Truck Accident Victims
Depending on the specifics of the truck accident, you may be entitled to the following types of compensation:
- Past & Future Medical Bills: You may seek compensation for any medical care related to the car accident. This often includes hospital bills, physical therapy, surgeries, and future medical bills if your injuries are life-altering.
- Lost Wages & Future Earnings: Some car accidents result in injuries that leave victims out of work for weeks, months, or even permanently. You may seek compensation to recover those lost wages. If you are no longer able to work due to your injuries, this can be factored into the settlement as well.
- Pain and Suffering: When you are involved in an accident, you are likely to suffer physical pain and mental anguish. Based on the severity of the truck accident, and the permanency of your injuries, pain and suffering may be awarded in your settlement.
- Wrongful Death: When a loved one is killed in a car accident, they leave behind bills, funeral costs, and the loss of future income for their family. Of course, their loss is felt emotionally as well. This loss of companionship and affection is priceless. Virginia allows certain family members to file a claim for losses they have suffered due to the wrongful death of a loved one.
Truck Driver Negligence
There are many examples of negligence that can occur due to the long hours spent on the road with little breaks. Tractor-trailers can be dangerous on their own, but when drivers practice any of the following acts of negligence, things can turn deadly.
- Over the number of hours they are limited to drive
- Driving while drunk or drugged
- Poorly maintained breaks and tires
- Distracted driving
- Driving while fatigued
- Improper lane changes
- Improperly secured cargo
- Excessive speed or following too closely
Common Truck Accident Injuries
Tractor-trailer accidents are scary because they can be more dangerous than an accident involving two passenger cars, and they are more likely to result in death or injury. Tractor-trailers can weigh more than 30,000 pounds, meaning a normal 4,000-pound vehicle is no match. Injuries that are common are:
- Back and neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and brain injuries
- Amputation and disfigurement
- Cuts, bruises, broken bones, and lacerations
- Wrongful death
If you or a loved one were injured in an accident caused by a tractor-trailer, contact our Virginia car accident lawyers for legal help. Our Virginia personal injury lawyers have one goal– to seek justice and earn the very best outcome for clients in the most trying days of their lives. After an accident, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. Your injuries, the insurance company, the at-fault party, and the legal system are a lot for anyone to face. So, when going it alone isn’t an option, we’re here to help. When you need an advocate, we are just one phone call away. Call or text (877) 544-5323 for a free consultation.