10 Tips to Prevent Virginia Car Accidents
- Avoid drinking and driving.
- Minimize distractions such as reading newspapers or talking on the cell phone when driving. Properly maintain vehicles.
- Tune up cars according to maintenance schedule, and especially take note monthly of tire condition.
- Do not encourage aggressive drivers. Let other aggressive driving behavior roll off your back, or call the police. Losing your temper could worsen the situation.
- Leave a safe distance between your cars and others. For every 10 miles per hour of speed, leave at least one car length space between your vehicle and the vehicle ahead. Maintain a constant speed.
- Don’t continually slow down or speed up. Adjust mirrors properly and check the side and rear-view mirrors every 15 seconds.
- Take defensive driving classes to improve your ability to drive and be better prepared for the unpredictable behavior of other motorists.
- Proceed with great caution through intersections. Intersections are the center of most accidents. When entering an intersection, look left, then right, then left again to ensure the area is clear.
- Be sufficiently aware of road conditions and be more visible.
- Keep your lights on at dusk and dawn and during rain, as is the law in most states.
- Understand basic vehicle dynamics, such as knowing how to recover from a skid.
Our Virginia Car Accident Lawyers
Selecting the right personal injury lawyer for your case may be easier than you expect. Most car accident law firms offer free consultations for new clients. You can schedule your appointment, meet with a lawyer, and explain your situation without paying a cent. In the consultation appointment, you’ll have the chance to hear initial advice and recommendations on how to move forward with your claim.
The Law Offices of Richard J. Serpe, PC has helped car accident victims for over 33 years. If you or your loved one has been injured in an accident caused by a reckless driver, contact us for a free consultation.