What are examples of medical malpractice claims?
A: There are many different forms of medical malpractice. Virginia has a Medical Malpractice Act which applies to physicians, psychiatrists, nurses, clinical psychologists, physical therapists, professional counselors, podiatrists, dentists, chiropractors, hospitals, nursing homes and all most all other medical care providers.
The provider has the duty to offer a standard of care that is, at the least, equivalent to the skills and diligence practiced by others in their specialty. Medical Malpractice can be described as the failure of a medical professional to follow established guidelines, which results in patient injury or death.
Examples of Medical Malpractice
- a surgeon left a foreign object in the patient during surgery
- a surgeon caused a patient’s death during surgery due to negligent practices
- a psychiatrist negligently discharged a suicide prone patient from care
- the wrong prescription drug was given causing injury
- a disease went negligently undiagnosed, was misdiagnosed, or a delayed diagnosis
- a nursing home was negligent in caring for a patient who is prone to falling
- a newborn or the mother was injured during labor, delivery or post-delivery due to negligent practices
Fighting for the Fair Compensation that You Deserve
The Virginia personal injury lawyers at the Law Offices of Richard J. Serpe, PC have helped victims and their families for over 33 years. If you or your loved one has been injured due to medical negligence, contact us to discuss your situation. The consultation is free, and our no fee promise means you don’t pay any legal fees unless we settle or win your case.