Helping Your Recover Compensation for Your Injuries After A Car Accident That Wasn’t Your Fault.
There are few things in life scarier and more disruptive than a car accident. After being involved in a wreck through no fault of your own, you might be questioning what comes next. This is an especially relevant question if you suffered serious injuries and are left unable to work because of them. In our state, car crash victims are permitted to file personal injury claims against at-fault drivers.
Of course, facing the insurance company, the at-fault party, and the legal system as a whole can be incredibly intimidating for the average person. The reality is that most people are inexperienced when it comes to the personal injury claims process. Insurance companies are aware of this and use it to their advantage, looking to deny or minimize settlements however possible. By working with an experienced Chesapeake car accident lawyer, you can protect your legal right to compensation.
Virginia Car Accident Lawyer
For over 37 years, Richard Serpe has helped personal injury victims seek the compensation they deserve. He’s earned a reputation as a well-respected, hard-working attorney with a tenacious approach to every case he takes on. Mr. Serpe has a track record of success in obtaining favorable settlements and verdicts for his clients.
Best Lawyers® (2005 – Present); Norfolk Personal Injury Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers (2020); Virginia Super Lawyer: (2006 – Present); Avvo.com : Rated 10/10 – “Superb”, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory: AV Preeminent rating (highest given).
HOW A CAR ACCIDENT LAWYER CAN HELP
A car accident lawyer can make all the difference in your injury claim. We work to protect your legal right to compensation in a variety of ways. We begin by launching an investigation into the incident to determine the possible value of your claim. We also work to shield clients from abusive insurance companies. By hiring our team, you’ll avoid costly mistakes that may jeopardize the outcome of your claim.
Our Chesapeake car accident attorneys are experienced negotiators, willing to go toe-to-toe with insurance adjusters to net the largest settlement possible. When insurance companies refuse to offer fair compensation, we’ll file a lawsuit and hold them responsible for the coverage they agreed to in their policies.
COMPENSATION FOR CAR ACCIDENT VICTIMS
Many clients ask us: what is my Virginia car wreck settlement worth? The answer largely depends on the damage done in the accident and the severity of injuries you sustained. Policy limits and insurance coverage also factors in. Typically, though, accident victims are entitled to the following kinds of compensatory damages:
- Medical Expenses: From the moment you’re loaded into an ambulance to the time you’re discharged from the hospital, you’ll incur expensive medical bills. They don’t stop once you get home, either. Thankfully, accident victims are entitled to seek compensation for these expenses as well as for any ongoing medical treatments required.
- Lost Wages: In many cases, car crashes put victims out of work long-term. In others, victims are permanently disabled. The loss of wages in the short term and long term can be factored into your settlement.
- Pain and Suffering: The pain and suffering you endured during and after the accident can be compensated for in your injury claim. While no amount of money can undo the suffering you’ve experienced, compensation can help put you on the road to recovery a little faster.
- Wrongful Death: Sometimes, accidents result in fatalities. Virginia state law allows surviving family members to pursue legal action against the person responsible for fatal crashes. If your spouse, son, or daughter has died in a crash through no fault of their own, you can file a wrongful death claim to recoup the cost of medical bills, funeral expenses, and loss of future income.
STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS (DEADLINES)
It’s important to take swift action after being involved in a serious car accident. Virginia has a two year statute of limitation in place for accident claims. After the two year anniversary of the incident, you’ll no longer have the legal right to pursue damages stemming from the wreck.
At first glance, two years sounds like plenty of time to file a lawsuit. Realistically, however, such claims often take longer than you’d expect. Recovering from injuries takes time, and your lawyer will require plenty of time to investigate the incident and prepare for negotiations with the insurance company. Of course, the more complicated the incident, the more time is needed to gather resources. Delay your efforts to take legal action and you may struggle to find a lawyer willing to take on your claim.
STEPS IN A VIRGINIA CAR ACCIDENT CASE
Many people ask us how long Virginia car crash cases take to settle completely. The process varies for each claim. Each of the following four steps can take weeks to months:
- Consultations: After clients schedule an initial meeting with our team, they share their story and learn about possible legal options. Should they wish to proceed, they’ll sign an agreement allowing us to represent them.
- Investigation: Our team works tirelessly to understand exactly what led to the incident and who was at fault. We’ll look at medical records, witness testimony, accident reports, and photos from the scene to better understand the full scope of the accident.
- Settlement Negotiations: We’ll assemble a demand package that includes relevant findings from the investigation and submit it to the insurance company. At this point in the process, most cases are resolved. When severe injuries are a factor, though, the negotiation process may be more drawn out. Should a fair settlement fail to be offered, a lawsuit may be necessary.
- Resolution: Escalating to a lawsuit often shows the insurance company that you’re unwilling to back down on your demands. The decision to file a lawsuit kickstarts the trial preparation process, but negotiations with the insurance company often continues behind the scenes.
CHESAPEAKE CAR ACCIDENT LAWYER
Should you choose to work with our Chesapeake car accident lawyer, we immediately reach out to the insurance company and direct their communications our way instead of yours. We’ll take over all questions and conversations with them – of course, no decisions are made without first speaking to you about your options.